Scholarships at Glasgow School of Art
|Sir Harry Barnes Postgraduate Scholarship|
|Scholarship Name||Sir Harry Barnes Postgraduate Scholarship|
Sir Harry Barnes started his career at GSA in 1944 as Assistant Master in Painting & Drawing. He became Deputy Director and Registrar in 1946 and was appointed Director of the School in 1964. Major achievements included setting up the Mackintosh School of Architecture in 1965 in collaboration with Sir Charles Wilson at the University of Glasgow, overseeing the building of the Foulis building and Newbery Tower (both now demolished to make way for the Reid building) and laying the foundations of the Bourdon building. He retired in 1980, and a scholarship fund was established in his name. Donations made to this fund have enabled this scholarship to be offered annually since the early 1980s. Sadly, Sir Harry Barnes died in 1982 and his wife, Lady Barnes died in 2010.
add to favourites